Tuesday 12 July 2011

Master Race, Pintung County 10 July 2011

Podium 10 july 2011

This was the first time I got to do a Masters race in ages. Very civilized, I must say.

The course was a flat,windy 15km loop around a harbour-recreation area. There was a pretty steep bridge that went over the entrance to the harbour. It was about 150m up and 100m down at about 7~8%. The wind was also right in our faces so I barely got over 60kph on the way back down.

It was a weird course because it seemed like there was only about 2km of tailwind and the rest was crosswinds of some sort or swirling headwinds.

Bang, we're off, a few minor attacks and we're swinging into the headwind for the first time. Still more attacks and a former team mate (Bo Zhuo) jumps away. I sit in about 10 wheels back and watch.

We go up the little bridge for the first time and a former sponsor jumps pretty hard. He crests but doesn't keep on it on the way down the other side. I push over the top, flick my levers on the way by and he slides onto my wheel.

I wind it up and we get about 10 seconds. I slide over for him to pull through and he sits on me. I keep my legs turning over but it's clear he isn't coming through. I know someone will soon, though. Sure enough two guys come across and I jump on them. We bridge up to Bo Zhuo who has been dangling all this time but the group is having none of it and they string it out to bring our silliness to an end.

A few more laps of this kind of stuff but I'd decided that I will go the last time over the bridge so I keep my position near the front but always on a wheel. It seems the quick pitch up and wind is the only place to really attack. It's about 4km from the finish and I like to get things going about that far out so the sprinters have to work long before we get to their sweetspot 150m out. Even if I'm positioned well at that point I don't have that kind of kick anymore.

I move into position about 1km before the bridge (we can see it from about 3km out). I get squeezed a bit but I lean on the squeezer and my space opens up again. We hit the bridge and everyone gets out of the saddle. The wind has been picking up and it gives us all a shove to the right. This closes the door in front of me a bit but I see Bo Zhuo start to nail it and I follow him through the front few guys over the top. I'm about to crank it up when I feel that there are a few other guys coming on my left (protecting me from the wind) so I pause to let them wind it up. I give Bo Zhuo a look and tell him that I will take him to the line. This is a C race for me and I've been a little sick so I just decided to make it as fun as I can.

We drop off the bridge and the road squeezes in. Bo Zhuo gets pushed off my wheel and I hear him say, 'Wait".

When we were team mates I used to be his lead out guy. He's got a helluva kick so it worked out well at the time.

Then I hear him say 3km so I know it's time to wind it up. I drop into the 53x13 and get on top of the gear. I slide to the right in the crosswind to give Bo Zhuo some draft but guttering everyone else behind him. I string it out and the elastic breaks 4 riders back. One guy jumps hard but I don't react. I just stay on top of the gear and focus on his back wheel.

We go up to him and past him and I can start to feel the last 10 days of being sick. The top end is starting to go. We're still 1km out and I give Bo Zhuo the flick that he has to go. Now. Sorry. But he doesn't go. We hesitate.

The two guys behind him jump just as a few more riders who made it across come by. Bo Zhuo slides onto them and I do, too. They get Bo Zhuo back on top of the gear and he jumps away from us all. I am very happy to see them move to the left side of the road. I surf up a few riders as they all fade and come across for 4th.

I was pretty happy with the result until I saw them give Bo Zhuo a new FUJI with Taigra for 1st place. I totally know someone who could have used that.

Oh, well.

No comments: